Saturday 15 October 2011

Day 2 - Ideas

Woke up this morning to another donation, bringing the total up to £115! Quite a way off my individual target of £500 and team target of £1000! But I believe it is achievable, and where I keep posting it on my pages, hopefully it will get out to more people!

A friend actually offered to donate £50 if my husband also gives up. I'm not sure how well that will go down, but it's worth a try. It would be good for his career as a strongman to give up smoking, and with all the friends and fans he has on his social networking sites, he'd be able to raise more money than I could ever dream of! No pressure or anything.... ;) Although, I am hoping that he will be my first team member of 'happy lungs'!

I'm debating what to do about this quitting business. Do I cut down in the run up to 1/11/11? Or do I smoke as usual, knowing it'll be my last chance to do so? When I tried to quit before, I used some nicotine replacement patches. It didn't quite work out too well though, as my whole arm went an angry shade of red, was itching and felt like I'd been punched. So every other attempt has been cold turkey.

I'm probably going to go and see the smoking cessation nurse at my doctor's surgery, I suppose it can't hurt to see what it's all about. There's no way I can use patches, so there must be another way to try and lose this habit.

I go pretty much a whole day at work without smoking due to no longer being allowed to smoke in the driving cab, so I usually have 1 cigarette on my break, and 1 when I've finished and am on my way home. Yet I can't go an hour at home without smoking. Even when I'm on a long flight I don't think about it too much, it's as if my nicotine addiction switches off the whole time I'm in the air, and only comes back to life as I'm landing. A lot of it must be in my head and I have to try and work out how to trick my mind!

I'm actually wishing I'd picked an earlier date now, all this talk about giving up is going to get tedious the closer I get to the big day. But seeing as my birthday is the 30th of October, I think it's wise to give up after this drunken occasion!

I lliterally just this second received a Facebook message from someone saying their child has CF and they're so grateful I'm raising money for it. It is such a nice thing for them to say, and I'm so pleased that a little thing like me giving up smoking will hopefully help raise enough money to try and make a difference to the lives of the sufferers. Things like this WILL keep me focused. Anytime I feel like I might sway back to my old habits, I will read my messages of support from people and look at my friend's sister's Facebook page 'Tor's Transplant Troop'.

I really feel positive this time, due to it being so out in the open and for such a good cause, I know that I can't afford to fail. I need to keep going and be successful. Not only for my own health, but for the sake of the kind people who have donated to the cause and are relying on me to keep my end of the bargain.

Right, better be off now as I have to get ready for work (major sigh), don't bloody finish til 1am arggghhh!

Last but not least, here are my JustGiving pages:

www.justgiving.com/LaurenCHollands you can donate towards my cause here

www.justgiving.com/teams/happylungs you can join my team and help raise money here in any way you see fit! All proceeds go to the Cystic Fibrosis Trust and you can do whatever you fancy to help. Give up smoking? Shave your head? Backflips?

More ramblings tomorrow, see ya

Lauren x

No comments:

Post a Comment